The Chrome Debugger Extension
The fastest way to debug potential issues that arrive while setting up Convert experiments is by installing and using the Convert Experiences Tools Extension.
The extension helps you to optimize your experiment development, testing, and debugging through some key features:
- Shows you detailed logging of experiment activity in your website pages.
- Downloads the experiment snippet directly from the Convert app servers which eliminates the delay of experiment updates in the CDN server. Otherwise, you have to wait up to 5 minutes for the updates to be reflected on your web pages.
- X-frame-security-header-options removed to allow you to see more sites in the visual editor.
- Chrome SameSite strict cookies are modified for the white-listed sites so you can see iframes and other parts of your website in the Visual Editor.
You can install the extension through the Chrome store on the following page:
The extension needs two specific permissions to work properly:
- Read your browsing history
Required to check if the domain of the current URL is whitelisted and connected to Convert Experiences. Note: The extension only reads the minimum required information to properly run the features above described.
- Communicate with cooperating websites
Required for communication between Sites and Convert Experiences application. Similar to the permission above, to check if the domain of the URL you are loading on Convert's Visual Editor is whitelisted or not and if so, run the features required to all. This then allows us to make the visual editor more workable and in case it’s missing settings show messages on how to improve the Chrome Extension settings.
After it is installed and enabled, you will see a little convert icon in the toolbar similar to the screenshot below:
To turn on the extension, click on it and toggle the switch from OFF to ON, the final result should be similar to the image below:
And that's it! When a page that has Convert Experiences tracking code is loaded, just open the Google Chrome console and you'll see many debugging messages. To open the console click "Ctrl + Shift + J" or "Cmd +Shift + J".
The console will look like the image below. If you see a text from Convert in the console, then this will signal that Convert Experiences is installed on that site, and running correctly.
If you do not see any of this text, the tracking script is not installed or not running properly.
Convert log entries are not showing on my console
You may have the situation that the Convert log entries do not show on the console even when the Convert tracking code and Convert Experiences Tools Extension is installed correctly.
This may be due to the fact that the Console settings are not on the "Verbose" mode.
To enable it, follow the instructions in the following image:
If after enabling "Verbose" mode, the console logs are not visible, please contact support.
By default the extension has access to all sites, to restrict access only on the whitelisted domains:
- Chrome > Settings > Extensions > Convert Experiences Tools > Details
- Change the option "Site Access" to “On specific sites” and add the domains/subdomains/sites the extension will have access to.